- 300g cooked Scotch Beef, shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 75g pearl barley
- 1 litre beef stock
- ½ Savoy cabbage or cavolo nero, shredded
- 4 slices of baguette
- 4 slices of Gruyere cheese
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan and cook the onions and thyme for 15 minutes until dark golden.
- Add the pearl barley, beef and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the barley is tender.
- Add the cabbage and cook for a further 3 – 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread on one side, then turn, place the cheese on top and return to the grill for a few minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cheese toasts.