Doner kebab is a Turkish food made of meat cooked on a verical rotisserie. Normally made of lamb, it can also contain a mixture of beef, chicken and veal. It's also known as shawarma in Arabic and in Greece is known as gyros, (pronounced yeer-oh with a rolled 'r'). Typically its a favourite fast food in Britain served with pita bread and chilli sauce and is cut from the vertical rotisserie into long slivers. In Greece it's served wrapped in a pita with chips/french fries, onions, tomato and tzatziki.
Tongmaster doner kebab seasoning brings the delicious flavour of lamb doner kebab to your home without the guilt of kebab shop grease!
There's also a recipe for chilli sauce.
Ingredients (Doner Kebab)
- 1kg Minced Lamb (Your butcher will be happy to provide this)
- 100g Tongmaster doner kebab seasoning
- Pita bread
Ingredients (Chilli Sauce)
- 100g tomato ketchup
- 2 table spoons mint sauce
- Pinch of chilli powder
- Dash of milk
- Finely chopped onion (Optional)
- Baking Loaf Tin
- 1 Hour of spare time.
- Willpower to avoid eating before sharing!
- Turn on your oven to 180c /Gas Mark 4, by the time you are ready with the mix it should be preheated enough.
- Mix your minced lamb with the doner kebab seasoning in a bowl until it's like a paste. You can add a teaspoon or two of water of your lamb mix is becoming too sticky to work with, or use a hand blender.
- Transfer your mixture into a baking loaf tin. Make sure you press the mix into the corners and flatten with your fingers and knuckles to make sure there are no air pockets in the mix.
(My loaf tin was too big, so I formed it all at one end. To fill this tin I would need almost 1.5kg of lamb and an additional 50g of seasoning)
- Put the tin in your oven, on the middle shelf and let it bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes carefully remove from the oven and turn out your kebab onto a baking tray. By now it should stay in shape.
- Put back in the oven for 15-20 mins or until the sides are all nicely browned, but not too tough to cut into
- The meat tastes great when out of the oven, tastes even better after cooling for 15 minutes and tastes even better still once it has fully cooled and is reheated again for eating!
- Pita bread & Salad
- Mayonnaise or garlic sauce, creme fraise works well too!
- Chilli sauce for a bit of a kick. Try making sauce using our recipe.