A herby Toulouse pork sausage wrapped in golden pastry – the perfect centrepiece for a dinner party or slice up for a delicious picnic snack.
- 800g pork mince
- 100g streaky bacon
- 50-100ml cold water
- 100g Toulouse complete sausage mix
- 320g puff pastry sheet
- 3 large egg yolks – beaten
- 2tsp rubbed thyme
- 2tsp mustard seeds
- Plain flour – for dusting
- Add mince, bacon (chopped or minced) and complete mix to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add water a splash at a time until ingredients are combined.
- Place the mix on a sheet of cling film and roll to desired shape, chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle a flat surface with flour and lay the pastry flat, place the sausage mixture on one side of the sheet before folding the other half over the top, creating a ‘roll’.
- Brush the seal with beaten egg yolk and crimp the edges, creating a tight seal, brush the top with remaining egg yolk to ensure the pastry has a shine, chill for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat an oven to 210°C/190°C fan/gas 7, brush the pastry with more egg and score the top of the wellington – this allows steam to escape during cooking – you can also add a design on top at this stage using remaining pastry.
- Sprinkle the thyme and seeds over the top and bake for 25 minutes, before reducing the heat to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 for another 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve and enjoy!