A tasty authentic tasting Bolognese packed with veg, hearty grains and even better – entirely plant based! Serves 4.
- 175g chopped chestnut mushrooms
- 125g chopped Portobello mushrooms
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- 175g dried green lentils
- 20g Tongmaster Bolognese spice blend
- 1 diced onion
- 100g grated carrot
- 2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 300ml mushroom stock (made fromm soaking dried porcini mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1tbsp marmite
- 400g dried spaghetti
- Add porcini mushrooms to a bowl and cover with 400ml boiling water, soak for 10 mins, then remove from, roughly chop and set aside – keep the water, this is your mushroom stock.
- Add the onion and carrot to a pan and gently fry until softened, add the spice blend and tomato puree and cook for a further minute, browning the spices.
- Add the lentils and stock to the cooked vegetables, along with the chopped tomatoes, cover and bring to the boil before leaving to simmer.
- Heat a large frying pan and cook all of the mushrooms with a splash of soy sauce until the water has evaporated and the mushrooms are cooked through – add the mushroom mix to the lentils.
- Stir in the marmite and simmer for a further 30-40 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the sauce is thick.
- In a separate pan, add spaghetti to salted, boiling water and cook for recommended time, drain and serve with a dollop of Bolognese – top with vegan parmesan.
- Slice a ciabatta and lather in melted vegan butter mixed with crushed garlic and Italian herbs for a delicious side.